March 5, 2012
RUSTON, La. - The Louisiana Tech baseball team finishes its five-game road trip on Tuesday, March 6 as the Bulldogs travel to Shreveport to face Centenary at 6 p.m. before returning home to host the Cardinals of Lamar on Wednesday, March 7 at 6 p.m. at J.C. Love Field at Pat Patterson Park.
The Bulldogs posted a 3-2 mark in five games this past week, highlighted by a 9-3 upset over Vanderbilt.
Louisiana Tech (8-5) leads the Western Athletic Conference in batting average (.319), hits (151) and are tied for the league lead in home runs with 12.
First baseman Alex Williams, who was named the Verizon WAC Hitter of the Week on Monday, leads the Bulldogs and the conference with six home runs, 21 RBI, 25 hits while batting .431.
Shortstop Ryan Gebhardt goes into the two mid-week games with a .418 batting average with 23 hits as he ranks second on the team and conference, behind Williams.
Southpaw Chris Sadberry gets the start on Tuesday as he continues his return from surgery in 2011. Sadberry is a perfect 2-0 on the season, defeating UAPB, 13-8 and 11-6, respectively. He has pitched 7.0 innings, striking out eight while allowing just one earned run.
Tuesday's game will mark the first matchup between Louisiana Tech and Centenary since March, 7, 2004.
Phil Maton gets the call on Wednesday against the 4-6 Cardinals of Lamar as the freshman earned his second victory of the season in his first collegiate start in the 9-3 victory over Vanderbilt.
Maton has struck out a team-high 19 hitters in 19.0 innings, while posting a 3.32 ERA.
Louisiana Tech defeated Lamar 16-2 in their last matchup back in March, 12, 2007.
Live stats will be provided via Game Tracker on www.LATechSports.com, the official home page for Louisiana Tech Athletics. Fans can also watch a live stream of the contest by purchasing a subscription to LA Tech All-Access by logging onto www.latechsports.com.
For complete coverage of Bulldog Baseball, please follow @LATechKQueliz on Twitter or visit the official home of Louisiana Tech Athletics at LATechSports.com.
- Louisiana Tech is 4-0 in mid-week games.
- Louisiana Tech used 13 different lineups through 13 games.
- The Bulldogs lead the Western Athletic Conference in batting average and hits (.319, 151, respectively) and are tied for the league lead with New Mexico St. in home runs (12).
- Alex Williams has started in 80 consecutive games for the Bulldogs.
- Williams leads the WAC in home runs with six, hits with 25, RBI (21), batting average (.431) and total bases (45).
- Shortstop Ryan Gebhardt is second in the WAC in batting average (.413), hits (23), runs (13) and doubles (5)
- Freshman Phil Maton ranks fourth in the conference with 19 strikeouts.
- Closer Caleb Dudley is one save away from tying Buddy Aulds for most saves by a Bulldog pitcher in school history (18).
SCOUTING THE GENTS
- Centenary will start left hander Nic Parrott on Tuesday as Parrott will be making his first start of the 2012 season.
- The dual-player has started three games in the outfield for the Gents, hitting .444 with two RBI.
- Tyler Clakely and Kyle Morton remain atop the team's batting charts with .500 and .490 averages, respectively.
- Clakely has pounded 25 hits in 50 at bats, driving in 15 RBIs, second only to Morton's 19.
SCOUTING THE CARDINALS
- Lamar returns 17 letterwinners from a 2011 team that finished 29-27 and made a run in the Southland Tournament.
- Lamar enters Ruston with a 4-6 record.
- Jebb Abt leads the team with a .378 batting average, including nine runs, six doubles and 14 hits and is tied with Garret Autrey with seven RBI.
- Autrey leads the Cardinals in home runs with two.
The Bulldogs host Texas A&M Kingsville for a three-game series that begins on Friday, March 9th at 6 p.m. Games two and three will be played as part of a doubleheader on Saturday, beginning at 1 p.m.