Women's Basketball

Frazier's Heroics Lift Techsters to Win

Feb. 16, 2013

Box Score | Photo Gallery

Weatherspoon Postgame

RUSTON - Whitney Frazier hit a three-pointer with .2 seconds to play to lift Louisiana Tech to a 64-62 victory over Idaho Saturday night before 2,404 fans at the Thomas Assembly Center.

Frazier's heroics were set up when Idaho sophomore guard Stacey Barr gave the Vandals a 62-61 lead with a 10-foot bank shot in the lane with 8.4 seconds to play in the game. It was Idaho's first lead since holding a slim 5-4 advantage with just under 18 minutes to play in the first half.

"We make things hard on ourselves," said Tech head coach Teresa Weatherspoon. "I am so proud of the kids. They fought the entire time. They worked hard. Our bigs were productive. In order for us to be successful our bigs have to be productive. It feels so good when something positive falls your way."

Following a timeout by LA Tech head coach Teresa Weatherspoon, the Lady Techsters inbounded the basketball to guard Janay Borum who slipped down at mid-court. Borum kept her composure, fed Lulu Perry who took a couple of dribbles to the top of the key before finding an open Frazier standing in front of the LA Tech bench.

Frazier took the pass, let the shot loose and watched as hit banked home with less than a second to play as her teammates mobbed her in front of the LA Tech scorer's table. Officials watched the replay and put .2 seconds back on the clock. However, Idaho was unable to get a shot off as time expired.

"We were actually trying to get Janay to push it up the court, and hand it off to Kelia Shelton for Kelia to get in the painted area," Weatherspoon said. "Unfortunately, Janay fell. Lulu was alert enough to get the basketball and get it to Frazier. Frazier was alert and knew the time on the clock. She took the shot confidently and knocked it down. Before the game she told me `Coach, I just don't feel like I can miss tonight. I am going to be clutch.' Look at what happened down the stretch."

With the victory, LA Tech improved to 12-13 overall, 8-6 in Western Athletic Conference play while Idaho fell to 12-14 overall, 9-6 in league action.

The win also kept the Lady Techsters perfect record against Idaho intact as Tech is 17-0 all-time against the Vandals. And for the second time this year, Idaho head coach Jon Newlee and the Vandals had to walk off the court knowing they were close to breaking the Tech streak. Idaho led Tech by 20 in the first meeting of the year before falling 67-58.

"I have a lot of respect for (Coach Newlee)," Weatherspoon said. "He is a great man and a great coach. It is hard. You've been on that end and you know what it feels like. You can only imagine what he is feeling like. We always congratulate each other and wish each other the best down the stretch."

After the two teams traded buckets early in the game, a Borum layup at the 17:36 mark of the opening half ignited a 25-13 run. Brittany Lewis, who ended the game with a team-high 18 points, scored 12 points as Tech built its only double digit lead of the game at 29-18 with 5:01 to play in the half.

However, Newlee's Vandals wouldn't go quietly as Idaho closed the Tech advantage to as few as three late in the first half before heading into the locker room trailing 34-30.

Tech maintained its lead throughout the second half, pushing it out to 58-50 with 4:32 to play in the game on a jumper by Perry. However, a three-pointer by Connie Ballestero ingited a 12-3 Idaho run as Barr's jumper in the lane with 8.4 seconds to play gave the Vandals the short-lived lead.

For the game, Tech shot 40 percent (27-68) from the field, 2-of-10 from the three-point line and only 8-of-15 from the free throw line while Idaho shot 35 percent (20-58) from the field, 4-of-23 from beyond the arc and 18-of-22 from the stripe.

Tech committed only nine turnovers in the game.

Print Friendly Version

Players Mentioned